Saturday, March 24, 2012

Our House: Bar Area

We couldn't be more relieved to have our bar/entertaining area pretty much done! When we moved in to our house in February 2011 I had envisioned this space in our family room for a bar area with shelving. I wanted it to be classic, with modern touches and beachy accents. We love the beach so it was only natural to add some coral, starfish, and beach art (which also matches all of our other home decor).

As soon as I saw this buffet on Molly's blog, and this inspiration via Potterybarn. I knew exactly what I wanted to do for this space. I love the open and concealed storage the buffet offers, and it fits in our space perfectly. It even has a slide out tray (above the wire baskets) which is great for a cutting board, to slice up some yummy garnishes for cocktails!

We have some glasses still in our garage that we need to wash and display, but I hung what we had in our cabinets for now. I would also like to add some fun margarita glasses and a glass or silver ice bucket.

I wanted to reuse our monogrammed linen runner from our wedding, and I thought it looked great on the bar, although it could use a good steam ironing. Also, please ignore our sheer curtains...they need to be hemmed! :)

I originally wanted these shallow wire baskets from PB, but then I found some cheap, white wire baskets at the dollar store and I was sold! I also wanted to include some cocktail books, but I didn't want to spend a fortune on them. I finally caved and bought some cheap cocktail books from Amazon.

I would eventually like to do something different with our wine corks, but for now they will stay in this apothecary jar. I would also like to dress up our BAR letters some, maybe something like this.

We had a lot of cocktail stirrers leftover from our wedding (they say "Stir it up") so we decided to display them with some fun gray paper striped straws I bought off Etsy.

The cabinets house a lot of miscellaneous entertaining stuff such as linens, coasters, koozies, as well as some drink mixes, and outdoor glassware. I need to get them organized soon!

I still have a lot of ideas for this bar, but it's done for now so we can move on to other house projects. I'll be sure to post any changes to our bar when we make them!

Cheers!

Where to buy:
Buffet: Verona Buffet via World Market, Shelving: Lack Shelves in brown/black via Ikea, Frame: 8x10 Ribba frame in black/brown via Ikea, Beach pic: Graphylife via Etsy, Mercury glass candle: Target clearance, BAR letters: Joann Fabrics, Apothercary Jars: Michaels?, Tray: Tava tray via Potterybarn, Coral behind tray: Old Time Pottery (years ago), Cocktail Shaker: MS via Macy's (wedding gift), "B" decanter: HomeGoods, Wire baskets: Dollar Tree, Miscellaneous barware & accessories: Bed Bath & Beyond, and Potterybarn (muddler, drink stirrer)

26 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love that you got to use your monogrammed runner from the wedding!! Now that it's done, have a drink and relax, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith! I love that we're reusing it too!

      Delete
  2. Love the bar area, so cute. I want to do something like this in the next house, since we don't entertain much here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! It's very classy! I also love that you are repurposing something from your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we used some stuff from our wedding too.. makes me feel soo happy when I see it.. :) Plus, its better you can use it than it sitting in a box :( all forgotten!

    You should feel accomplished! Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me happy to see it out too! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Looks SO awesome Nicole!!! I'm so doing a bar area when we move and you gave me some awesome inspiration! Have a great week girl. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I really like the buffet and your shelves above it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh it looks fantastic!! You guys did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE it! :) Reusing wedding items are hard... so great use of the stirrers and runner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. isn't it awesome to actually complete a project in your house? ! hubs and i have several looming over us right now. . . hanging drywall in our completely destroyed bedroom :/ refinishing wood floors, etc. eepps. someday we may be done.


    happy monday friend!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does! House projects are neverending but the end results are always worth it!

      Delete
  10. That turned out beautifully! I love that you're using the monogrammed runner from your wedding - such a sweet touch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it looks amazing! Cute style :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where did you get the wine glass rack that is attached to the ikea shelf?

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Anonymous
    Sorry I missed your comment I wish I could email you!

    We got the wine glass racks at Bed Bath & Beyond. I believe they were about $9.99 each or something, even cheaper with two 20% off coupons.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the bar area! Do you feel that the Bed Bath & Beyond wine racks are sturdy enough attached to the Ikea shelves? I love this idea, but my main concern was if the shelf could support the rack and glasses.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks so much for the compliment! :) Yes, the BB&B racks are holding up great mounted underneath the Ikea shelves. When mounted to the wall, the shelves do not move at all. They are very sturdy and flush with the wall. The glasses we have placed on top of the shelf haven't fallen or anything. I highly recommend this space saving display :) We get a lot of compliments on the set-up, too.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. So sorry for my late reply. I hardly check this blog anymore. The buffet is called the Verona Buffet from World Market.

      Delete
  16. If you happen to see this... what length are the Ikea Lack shelves? TIA. I am trying to create a similar space and appreciate your post for reference!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback on my posts, your comments are greatly appreciated! :)