Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My Essentials: Hair

I'm not that high-maitenance, but I do like my hair kept nice pretty much all the time, even at the beach. :) I always love seeing these types of posts, so I thought it would be fun to share some of my hair essentials with you. These are my favorite go-to products!

Kenra Hot Spray - Platinum

This stuff is amazing! I started using it this time last year, and bought it for my wedding day. I was looking for a light/medium hold hair spray that was also flexible and didn't make my hair too stiff. I have never been a hair spray kinda girl, but as soon as I used this stuff I was sold. I love using it when I curl my hair or need a little extra hold, and it also protects your hair from styling tool heat. It's life changing. Y'all need to buy it immediately!
Kenra Blow-Dry Spray - Platinum

I started using this blow dry spray last fall and can't get enough of it! It makes my hair so shiny, silky, it smells great, and protects my hair from styling tools. I use it every time I blow dry my hair, except if I'm blow drying right before bed (because it is a little oily). I LOVE it!

via

Bio-Silk

I have been using this hair serum for years! I have only had to buy it twice since I was in middle school because a little really goes a long way. I love the smell of it and the way it makes my hair feel. I use it sparingly though, only when I have fly aways or when I want a really straight look to my hair with not a lot of volume.

via

Moroccan Oil

I just started using this stuff and I really love the way it makes my hair feel. I use this very sparingly too. If I ever feel my hair is too frizzy or poufy then I'll just put a dab in between my palms and rub it all over my hair. Luckily, I just won more in a giveaway Laurie was hosting!

via

Redken's Color Extend Sun Sparkling Shield Spray

I only use this spray when I'm in the sun for a long period of time, like at the beach or by the pool. It protects my color from the harmful UV rays. I just keep it in my beach bag.

Redken's Blonde Glam Color Ehancer in Perfect Platinum

This stuff is a God send for blondes or those with platinum hi-lights. I use it as a conditioner just once a week and it really brightens up my blonde. Also, if I'm at the pool or in the sun all day and my hair looks brassy I just use a little bit of this and it takes the brassiness away. I swear by this stuff... it's awesome.

I'll share a funny story with y'all --- for the longest time I couldn't figure out what was making my hair turn this light purple color in the middle of my head. I thought it was this conditioner b/c it's purple, so I stopped using it for a while. After some time passed I finally realized what was turning my hair purple was my black hair clips and black hair ties! I like to twist my hair up or put my hair in a pony-tail a lot, especially after I get out of the shower. My hair was drying with the hair clip/ties and it was turning my hair purple! So that's just a little tip for you girls with blonde hair or hi-lights! I now use clear hair clips and the blonde colored hair ties.

via

Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Special Shampoo & Conditioner

My hair stylist turned me on to this shampoo and conditioner. Not only does the tea tree oil tingle your scalp, make it feel fresh and clean, but it really takes away any scalp irritations. Over the past few months my scalp has went crazy and has been really dry and irritated. I have tried drinking more water, vitamins, eating better, exercising more, switching shampoos that don't contain sulfates, are more all natural, etc. This (and the Malibu collection below) have been the only hair products that have really helped me some. The only thing I'm worried about is my color with this brand. The bottles say they're color safe, but I need to use it a little longer to see if that's the case! That's the thing with all these dry, itchy scalp and dandruff shampoos... hardly any are also color safe! I am setting up an appointment to see my dermatologist to see if there's anything they can recommend. If y'all have any suggestions please let me know! :)
The Scalp Wellness Line from Malibu

I started using their products just a few months ago. I think the packets are especially good and work right away but you have to keep using them. The shampoo and conditioner I felt made my hair dry, but it was one of the only natural scalp type shampoos that didn't strip my color. I was able to get these hair products through my hair stylist, but you can order them online too.

When I'm not suffering with dry, itchy scalp (yuck) then I use Biolage or whatever color safe shampoo & conditioner I feel like trying. I definitely like to switch it up. My hair grows like a weed, and I think it has a lot to do with taking a multi-vitamin daily. For maintenance and to keep my hair healthy, I like to get my hair trimmed and hi-lighted every 6 - 8 weeks.

What are your go-to hair essentials?

2 comments:

  1. I've been using bio-silk since middle school too! There's a Paul Mitchell version that I like too when I can get to a salon. I haven't tried Moroccan Oil yet but have heard so many glowing reviews of it that I just might have to suck it up and spend the $.

    ReplyDelete
  2. apparently me and have have the exact same hair, haha. Because I use like 4 of these products. I am a recent big fan of the Kenra Hot Spray as well! and I have been looking for a UV protectant for my hair so I'll have to give the Redken one a try. Thanks for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback on my posts, your comments are greatly appreciated! :)