There are some downsides to having a small, older kitchen... we only have two outlets in the cabinet area of our kitchen. This makes it challenging for plugging in appliances. The counter space is almost non-existent and the cabinets do not offer enough storage. Have I mentioned we don't have a dishwasher yet, either? :) Some things I DO love about our kitchen is the older open faced upper cabinets. While I had a love/hate relationship with them in the beginning, they have grown on me. I also love our huge window I have to look out of while I do dishes or prepare a meal that lets a good amount of light in, too. I also enjoy our eat in nook area and that our kitchen is in the center of our home. I truly spend most of my time in the kitchen, so it's only natural to want it to be a space we enjoy being in!
Here's what our kitchen looked like before we moved in! It has changed some since we moved in, but I will do a side by side comparison photo of how it is now and after our renovations!
Eventually I would like to re-do our floors and get new appliances but that will come a little later on. Right now we're focusing on getting a dishwasher (!!!), refacing our cabinets ourselves, buying new hardware for our cabinets, adding white subway tile backsplash ourselves, getting new counter tops installed, getting a custom pantry made and adding a base cabinet. Also, we would love to add more seating to our small kitchen! We're knocking out some 50's built-in shelving, making a peninsula/bar area that will join our kitchen and living room/sitting room together seamlessly. I'd also like to make a banquette inside our kitchen, which I have envisioned since we moved in. I think I have FINALLY convinced my husband to do it, so I will be thrilled when that is finished! When both seating areas are completed we will be able to seat 8 comfortably in our space! For now, we entertain for parties of 4 or more on our backyard deck! :)
I want to strip the cabinets (they are currently an antique'y stained look...yuck) and paint them a clean, crisp white. My favorite paint that I used on the trim of our exterior and the inside trim, is Benjamin Moore's White Dove paint, is what we'll use on our cabinets as well. With beautiful drawer pulls and new knobs I think it will look awesome!
![]() |
| Pantry! I just love the pull out shelves! |
![]() |
| Obsessed with this small detail! Loving these cornices. |
![]() |
| We would love to do a white wood plank ceiling with dark beams, perhaps. |
![]() |
| This is what I envision for our banquette seating area! Ideally, I'd like drawers like the ones pictured here to maximize our storage, but we'll see! Our banquette will be L shaped. |
![]() |
| A pretty banquette seating option for one side |
Well, that's our kitchen plans in a nutshell. We know making all these updates will take time, but we hope to have everything finished by the end of this year. More details and updates are sure to follow! :)
Are you currently renovating or making updates to your home? Any tips?
























Check out Bower Power today for info on cabinet paint. They tested BM and Sherwin Williams. When we painted the cabinets in our old kitchen we just used regular paint and it was a mess... hey at least we don't own it anymore ;)
ReplyDeleteLove those upper cabinets you have. I wish out current kitchen were updatable as is, but we have terrible laminate. I wish the cabinets were wood!
I love the ideas girlie! They look like fun & very doable. Good luck :)
ReplyDeleteI love your ideas! I'm sure whatever you do is going to be amazing!
ReplyDeleteThis looks so exciting! I can't wait to see what y'all do in there, the plan sounds great!
ReplyDeleteBtw, you can get CabinetCoat paint in all Benjamin Moore colors, so you should check into it, we love the finish.
I recognize lots of these pictures from your pins! (Which I then repin!)
ReplyDeleteWow I really love your ideas! I'd definitely go with the dark wood ceramic floors, subway tiles and sleek stainless steel appliances. The double door fridge is a must, at least for me! :)
ReplyDelete