Monday, January 7, 2013

House Progress

We are making some progress at home which feels great! It's nice coming home to a completed project that I've had in my head or have been stressed about wanting done for a while. I don't know about you but when I get an idea, I go into full force make it happen mode! Often times that results in a lot of half done projects around the house! Here are a handful of projects that we have been working on and finally finished! **If you follow me on Instagram, you may have already seen some of these photos.

Large framed art in living room/sitting room

A friend of ours gave us a large surf shop display art piece a couple years ago.  That was around the time we bought our home.  We knew we wanted to do something with it, but we just weren't sure.  Almost two years later, we finally decided to put our ideas into action and get it finished! 

We took the old print out, spray painted the frame esspresso, made our own frame matting out of foam board from Hobby Lobby and taped it together with masking tape.  We wrapped our matting with burlap.  For the picture, we had one of our engagement pics blown up at Staples.  On an opposite wall in the same room we have our gallery wall with our wedding pictures. 

Framed Art
This was taken at night
My favorite beachy tree is a Sea Grape tree! Everytime we go to the beach or anywhere tropical I'm just mesmerized by the beauty of these trees! It's the little things, right?! :) Daniel brought back a leaf from a tree in Nicaragua when he was on a surf trip in August. We picked another from a tree near our wedding venue in Satellite Beach! I lined the back of some shadow box frames with some leftover canvas drop cloth and glued some bookplates to the fabric with fabric glue. We have them on a wall in our kitchen!

In the day light :)
Upholstered Nailhead Trim Memo Board

After our headboard project, we had a lot of leftover materials.  We used a the quilt batting, canvas drop cloth we didn't use for our headboard and the nail head trim. The cork board we already had on hand was a basic wood trimmed cork board. I like the neutral fabric, think it looks great in our home office and matches the rest of our home decor.

Over the weekend, I made some burlap push pins.  I followed a simple tutorial I saw on Pinterest a while back.  All you need is some marble/vase fillers (the clear kind if you're using a sheer fabric like burlap, linen or white!--one side is flat the other is raised/round).  Cut a small circle of your fabric of choice and put a small amount of hot glue on the raised side first.  Then hot glue the remaining fabric underneath on the flat side.  Cut off any excess fabric and glue a thumb tack to the bottom.  Easy!  I bought the thumb tacks at Dollar Tree and I believe you can find the vase filler marbles there, too!

I had all of the materials already for this project so it was free!


I have a couple more things we've finished that I'll share later this week!

xo

4 comments:

  1. Love it all, lady! But I already told you that. I seriously may need to recreate that cork board though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a great job with everything! I wish I had more time to do crafty stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback on my posts, your comments are greatly appreciated! :)