For a while now I have dreamt of doing my own creative thing on the side. I truly crave that creative time and draw inspiration from just about everywhere. Having a small, work from home type business in conjunction with a day job has been the plan in my head. I have seen a handful of my friends become pretty successful with their side businesses and it has only sparked my interest of starting up a little something of my own.
Over a late night talk or two with my husband, we excitedly talked about my little dream and making it into a reality! We talked about what I would sell. What advertising I would do for it. What it would mean for me as far as working, going to school and now taking on another side project. Essentially, it would be more work for me if I really wanted it to do well. If I am able to make more money with my side business than what I'm making now at my part-time job, then I can soley do that and work from home while going to school. Having my husbands support means everything to me!
I'm in the very early stages of planning for this exciting venture. An Etsy shop. Just to give you a hint of what I'll be selling, it will be an array of items for all the beach/coastal/nautical lovers out there. Some things will have a vintage feel to them. Some items will be great for events and event planning. Everything in the shop will reflect my personal taste. These will also be items that I'd like in my own home and could see myself using. Why? Because, well, I am one of those types of people in order to stay passionate about something I need to believe in the product and actually like what I'm selling.
I'm excited if you haven't noticed! :) I'm not sure when I'll get this thing started, but when I do I will be advertising it like crazy! I also hope to have YOUR support, too.
Any ideas of what to call this Etsy store of mine? Any Etsy shop owners out there have any advice for me on getting started, tips on becoming successful, how to manage my home life with a side business, etc.?
Please leave your ideas in a comment!














Hi! Good luck on your new endeavor. It's exciting. I started my business about 5 months ago. www.fhjbaby.com. There's really no right or wrong way to start. Me personally, I went with the motto, go big or go home. I found a hosting service and made my own website. I went with a premade customizable template and let me tell you even that was tough. My husband who is great with that stuff helped me. I then made a Facebook business page and wrote a message about it to my personal friends telling them about it and asking them to like it. I also advertised and still do on my personal blog. I'm also part of a few message forums and my signature has the link to my blog. An Etsy shop is great because it takes some of the marketing off your plate. Getting your name out there is a lot of work. I recently joined Etsy a week ago--so I have my business in a few different baskets. I've got a few other things I've done to promote or participated in, but I don't want to write a novel here so if you ever need any advice just email me and I'd be happy to help. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you and I can't wait to see what is in your shop! I know that if it reflects you in any way it will be fabulous. :)
ReplyDeleteHow exciting! This is perfect for you! I cannot wait to see your items in your shop! Congrats and good luck, friend! xo
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome! Can't wait to see what you sell. Best of luck!
ReplyDeleteSounds awesome! I'm excited to see your shop. My husband and I recently moved to a coastal area (in CT) so I bet we'll want to incorporate more of that style in our home. :)
ReplyDeleteHow exciting! I can't wait to hear more about your shop. Way to go for taking steps to make your dream a reality!
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you! You know that I'll love whatever you get. So you'll have an instant customer in me!
ReplyDeleteCongrats, that will be so exciting for you. I can't wait to see once you open for business :)
ReplyDeleteHi, I am a newer follower and just wanted to say congrats...sounds so exciting! Can't wait to see your shop:)
ReplyDeleteGood for you girl!!! Best wishes with it!
ReplyDeleteGood luck on this adventure!
ReplyDeletei'm all for going after dreams. ps: adorable pup
ReplyDeleteI love etsy, good luck! New follower, love your blog:) Hope ya have time to check mine out too!
ReplyDeletehttp://arielle-ellesentries.blogspot.com/
good luck with the etsy shop, i LOVE LOVE LOVE etsy
ReplyDeletexo the egg out west.
How exciting! I was reading an old post of mine and saw a comment from you and realized I hadn't heard how you're doing recently and have been terrible about reading blogs - Obviously I'm a huge fan of etsy shops and small businesses since I made mine my full time job and I'd LOVE to answer any questions you have! I get so excited when I hear someone's staring their own! Hope you're doing well!
ReplyDeleteThat is so so exciting! Good for you for following your dream!
ReplyDeleteThat's so exciting Nicole! I've been thinking of doing something similar and think it's inspiring that you are going for it! You'll have to update when your shop is up and running because we have similar tastes and I'd love to shop there! :) Good luck with your new adventure!
ReplyDeleteSuper excited for you! Starting my own side business has been so amazing (I do social media training for businesses) and I also make diaper cakes on the side. It's a great creative outlet for me & I'm sure you will so awesome :-)
ReplyDeleteThis is SUPER exciting!!!! I would love to support you in any way that I can!! Keep us posted on all the details!
ReplyDeleteWell this is really exciting :)!!! Looks like you are starting this at just the right time. Can't wait to learn more about your shop. So fun!!
ReplyDeleteYou know I love my etsy stores! Cannot wait to see what you have! :)
ReplyDelete