November 8, 2013 marked 3 weeks of Ava being a part of our little family. 3 weeks we have been in awe of her beautiful little...everything. She is this tiny, precious baby that we get to keep. She has made me a momma and Daniel a daddy. We feel so blessed and grateful for this beautiful gift God has given us! I wanted to write out my birth story, so I wouldn't forget anything. I want to print it out and put it in Ava's baby book, too. :)
November 17, 2013
I should start this out with a recap of how our weekend went before I went into labor. We had a very low key weekend, but I was very stressed about getting the nursery completed. We still needed curtains hung, clothes put away, etc.! We were also trying to finish painting kitchen cabinets. I remember being on my feet all night on Saturday. I had bad lower back pain that night. I sleep great Saturday night....
Our eventful day started out around 5:20am on Sunday morning. I woke up to some cramping. I hadn't felt this cramping at all throughout my pregnancy, so I had a feeling they were contractions. They weren't very painful, just uncomfortable like a period cramp. I started timing them, glancing at our alarm clock. I timed them being about 3-4 minutes apart. I didn't wake up Daniel because I wasn't sure if I was going into labor or just wishful thinking! Ha! About 4-5 contractions in, I felt a small gush of something--like I had peed my pants. It was small but enough for me to realize
"hey, this could be my water breaking"... just as I was waking Daniel to tell him what I thought was happening another gush came and it was then determined that it was in fact my water breaking! I ran to the restroom and cleaned myself up. I remember asking Daniel to do things... "honey, make sure Kelsey is fed, make sure we leave a key hidden out back, make sure you pack this and that". I also remember being completely calm, trying not to freak myself out or be anxious about the day. I wanted Ava to be born into the world without stress, or a stressed out mom at least, so I really focused on being as calm as possible all day! Since Ava was a full week early, I hadn't packed a few things, so I was packing things last minute, going over my "what to pack" list a couple times to ensure we didn't forget anything. I picked up around the house, even wrote out a "to-do" list for my mom, so she could come over and clean while we were in the hospital. Seriously.. I know, who does this when they should be rushing to the hospital?! Ha!
 |
| In the hospital parking lot about to go inside! |
We finally left the house about 6:15am. I had Daniel stop at Starbucks so I could get a bagel and water. I knew if I didn't eat then, that I wouldn't be able to again until after I gave birth. We finally arrived at the hospital about an hour or so after my water broke.
 |
| In triage |
I was admitted into a triage room and I was checked immediately. I was only 1cm dilated, but had to stay since my water broke. My contractions were coming in quite stronger about an hour or so being in the triage room. They were very intense. I was really feeling them and my pain level was about a 7 out of 10. I was checked again about 2 hours in. I was then moved to my room where I would deliver. I was immediately hooked up to an IV for antibiotics (I tested + for GBS). I was checked again soon after and I was progressing... now 5cm dilated. I got sick from the pain I was in, after that I knew I wanted the epidural.
I was very scared about the epidural. I don't like needles and had made this such a bigger deal in my head that I was more anxious about the epidural more than the birth itself! Once the anesthesiologist came in, I signed all necessary paperwork, I was prepped and before I knew it the epidural was over! Before the epidural was given, I asked if my husband could pray over us. The anesthesiologist and nurse happily obliged. Yes, I felt a sting from the numbing shots, I felt the epidural catheder going in and it was not fun, but it wasn't as bad as my IV's that were put into my arm before that (darn nurse couldn't find my veins!! Ugh). I had hyped up the epidural being scary and painful but it really wasn't as bad as I had imagined. After the epidural I layed down and almost immediately felt relief. Numb from my stomach down. Best.feeling.ever!!!
 |
| After the epidural, relaxing and eating a Popsicle! |
 |
| Reading magazines and watching tv! |
Daniel was reading my contractions on the paper and kept asking if I could feel them. I couldn't feel a thing! I was progressing a bit slower after the epidural. Other than shaking a little from feeling cold, I was very relaxed, read a magazine, watched many episodes of House Hunters and talked to Daniel about Ava--how would she look, would she be healthy, couldn't wait to meet her, etc.! I didn't want any visitors, so it was just him and I all day up until we were moved to our room after recovery. I'm so glad I decided against visitors before then. I was stress free and I felt so at peace with everything the whole day. Daniel was my rock and really was such a good support system for me the whole day and our entire stay in the hospital.
 |
| I asked my sweet sister in law, Briana to buy cookies for the nurses and Dr. I wanted to get them a little something, I felt so unprepared going to the hospital a whole week early, so it meant a lot she did that for me! :) I think it helped us in getting a bigger suite after I delivered! |
The Dr. was happy with how well I was progressing and said I didn't need Pictocin which I was happy about! Around 6:30pm I was 10cm, about ready to push. The Dr. kept asking if I felt pressure and I felt nothing... thank God for the epidural! Dr. wanted me to wait until about 7pm or so to start pushing. The room was dimly lit, it was just the nurse, Daniel and I in the room when it was time to start pushing. I remember feeling very relaxed and so ready to meet Ava! Daniel brought a focus item for me--a beach scene picture from where he proposed in St. Thomas. He stuck it on the wall, so I could look at it while pushing and it really did help me focus and relax at the same time. Before everything started, I asked Daniel to pray for us beforehand again. The nurse, the Dr. and Daniel and I held hands and we prayed. It was such a sweet moment that I will always remember. :)
 |
| Our view out our hospital room-- a beautiful sunset :) |
After 2 hours of pushing, Ava was born at 9:07pm! She let out a few loud cries and was so alert! She kept sticking out her tongue and blinking her eyes. It was the sweetest sight. She got all cleaned up, put on my chest, so I could cuddle her. I remember looking at her carefully--looking at all of her sweet features! Making sure she has 10 fingers and 10 toes. I grasped her tiny hand and locked eyes with her, telling her I was her mommy and happy birthday! Daniel cut the umbilical cord, Ava was cleaned and weighed/measured. Her first diaper was put on, she was swaddled and a cute hospital hat was put on her tiny head. We stayed in the delivery room for 2 hours after while I recovered. During that time I tried breastfeeding, Ava latched on right away. I have a really sweet picture of that moment that Daniel took which I will always cherish!
I'll post more pictures from our hospital stay and of Ava at home these past few weeks, soon! Also, I am still getting things finished in her nursery, so as soon as that's complete I will post pictures of her nursery, too!
I am praying i have a similar delivery! What a great experience!!! So glad you penned it so sweet Ava can read this one day! Love to your family of 3!!! xo
ReplyDeleteCongratulations again! She's precious! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful story! So happy for you all!! :)
ReplyDeleteAh I love this! I teared up reading it...such special memories for your precious family! xoxo
ReplyDeletesuch a sweet sweet story!! I love it!
ReplyDeleteI love that the doctor and nurse prayed with you! So sweet! Congrats again, friend!
ReplyDeleteso glad you got it allll typed out! no details forgotten!
ReplyDeleteAw thank you for sharing! I am glad that the day went so smoothly for you :)
ReplyDelete