Friday, October 19, 2012

Homemade Dog Treats

We're staying quite busy this fall. We're enjoying the cooler weather, comfort food type meals and we are making way on our fall bucket list I shared here. I've been busy in the kitchen too, I wanted to share a quick dog treat recipe I recently tried, which was a big hit!

Peanut Butter Dog Treats via Elaphantine Blog

Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted natural peanut butter
1/2 cup hot water

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.

2. Mix together the flour and baking powder.

3. In a separate bowl, combine the peanut butter and hot water. Mix until smooth. Gradually add the dry mixture and mix well. Add a little more water if the dough is too dry, or flour if it's too wet.

4. Turn dough out onto your work surface and roll to 1/4" thickness.

5. Cut with a cookie cutter and place on a cookie sheet (I lined mine with parchment paper)

6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly brown. Let cool, then store in an airtight container. (I packaged mine in ziplock baggies since we distributed them between friends, otherwise we would have kept them in an airtight jar)

*recipe makes about 3 dozen


"Mom, quit taking pictures and give me my treat already!"
It was safe to say Kelsey approved of these homemade treats! I will definitely have to continue making them. I like that they are made with simple ingredients and I know what's in them! I bought a very small bone shaped cookie cutter back in May and now I'm finally getting around to using it! I found mine at a pet shop in Mount Dora, FL, but I'm sure with a google search you can find them in different sizes and inexpensively. It's very seldom that I give Kelsey dog treats, but when she's an especially good girl it's a nice reward! Even though I still break these small treats in half, they're the perfect size for her.
Pic taken by Maddie's Mom, Hailey
I thought it would be fun to share some treats with Kelsey's friends too. Above is a sweet pic of my friend Hailey's dog, Maddie! Maddie lives in NC. She recently broke her little leg and we thought some treats would cheer her up! She is the cutest cocka-poo I've ever laid my eyes on! It's a good thing her mom and I are friends, otherwise she might find it weird I stalk and like all of her Instagram pics of her precious pup! We also made some for our good friend Britney's new puppy, Abby (corgi) who lives in GA. She and her husband were so excited to get their puppy and we are so thrilled for them. There's nothing like the joy of a new puppy, expanding your family! We also made some for my sister's new puppy, Kora (a golden doodle) and her other dog, Gracie (boston terrier). I hope all of Kelsey's friends enjoyed them as much as she did! ;)

14 comments:

  1. I really need to make these for our dogs! Such a great treat for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the sweetest and so is cute Kesley! Maddie LOVED her treats and she is now having a hard time eating the store bought ones . Haha!

    Xoxo!

    PS. So thankful blogging/social world connected us :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my doggies would be so thankful if i made these treats for them. i always have a bone cookie cutter. thanks for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool! These sound so tasty and are a great gift idea for some of our friends with dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this recipe more than the one I use! It's even easier. The dogs go nuts for homemade treats. Well my dog goes nuts for any treats, because he is a nut! Maddie is adorbs and so is Kelsey of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. It seems like a pretty easy simple recipe :)I am sure my pups would love if I made these for them however I think I may stick to just buying the little chew puparoni because secretly I really wanna eat them because they smell amazing no lie crazy right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, yum! I'm going to need to make these for Baysie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an awesome idea. And your dog is so presh!! congrats on the win today! I won too haha! So i thought I would stop by but loved blog so much i just had to follow!

    Helene in Between

    ReplyDelete
  9. so cute! i'm def. going to make these for my puppy's adoption birthday next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was nice of you to send some to the hurt doggie. Those look easy enough to make. Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to make some sometime soon for my dog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How adorable. I wish I had a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. omgoodness that puppy cast! So precious!!

    These look awesome, I def. have to make these for my pup this week!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback on my posts, your comments are greatly appreciated! :)