Sunday, December 26, 2010

Our Wedding: Bridesmaid Tote (gift)

I wanted to make some monogrammed tote bags for my bridesmaids.

All items needed:

  • Iron (not pictured above)

  • Any type of paint brush (I used a foam brush)

  • Exacto Knife

  • Freezer Paper

  • Cutting board (I had a flexible cutting mat)

  • Tape (optional)

  • Fabric Paint

  • Name/Initial printed in a large font/dark ink (I chose Monotype Corsiva)

  • Canvas tote bag(s)

With your exacto knife, freezer paper wax side down, trace out the letter (through both papers). This is the most time consuming part, but doesn't really take that long. Tracing the letter can be more difficult than it seems especially if you're a perfectionist like myself! I think I stuck with a fairly easy font to trace though.

After it's traced you'll have a stencil on the freezer paper. I used tape to secure the sides of the freezer paper so it wouldn't move when I ironed it on to the canvas tote. Tape is not necessary but it helped me, and I also used it when tracing the stencil. I used one of my older "craft project" iron which did the job. Just iron on the freezer paper wax side down on to your canvas tote, it will stick to the tote.

Next, you can start painting inside the ironed on stencil.

Here they are drying! I gave it a good 4-5 hours to dry. I actually have one more tote to do...

After the totes are completely dried, peel off the wax paper slowly... this is the fun part! You should have nice, clean lines, and it should come off pretty easy. I did have some wax paper residue on some of them that I just scratched off with my finger nail.

I plan to put the bridesmaids' gifts in these totes with some beige or white tissue paper, and of course all of these colors match our wedding colors/theme!

20 comments:

  1. Great idea! I may have to steal this! So cute!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Great idea, I am going to do it too. I let you know how they come out. Im getting marry in June and for the girls gifts I am going to give them jewelry which they can wear on the day of the Wedding!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, you can't use wax paper. One side (the side your putting the iron on) needs to not be waxy so the iron doesn't stick/melt it. You can only use freezer paper for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a great idea for a gift! I gave my bridesmaids totes with little thank you gifts inside as well but they were no where near as inexpensive and creative. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea!!! And it looks so easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so cute! They will definitely love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to customize an otherwise basic tote! Thanks for coming by Mommy Rantings and keeping Dylan in your prayers!

    I love your craftiness! Following your blog now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so pretty !! I love your blog, wedding planning is so exciting, I miss it ! ;)
    Bisous from Paris

    ReplyDelete
  9. you did SUCH a good job on these! and you cannot beat the price!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are super cute! Thanks for sharing the how-to! I need to make a few myself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sweet!!


    Thanks for the visit ~
    Best wishes for the New Year!

    xoxo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super Cute!! Your blog is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You my dear, are very talented! It's soo good to have the time to plan and put personal touches like this into the best big day!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback on my posts, your comments are greatly appreciated! :)